Wednesday 2 February 2011

yoga teachers, julius caesar, and emotional breakdowns.

Monday night I went to the gym to try out the Jazz and Yoga classes. Jazz was awesome (it's taught by this adorable asian dude with a super complicated name I can't pronounce...but he rules). It was pretty exhausting, but it felt amazing to dance again. After Jazz, the room started to get so packed for yoga. My mat was touching two other people's mats...there had to have been at least 60 people in the room. So we started, and my yoga teacher was such a meanface. He got angry at everyone who didn't try a headstand (no way was I attempting that in a packed room - and good thing I didn't, cause a bunch of people toppled over...which made me giggle, making the yoga man glare at me), forearm balances, and side crow (where you lift your entire body on your elbows and balance). He was super cynical and condescending, and it ruined my yoga experience. Haha. But now I'm determined to get my headstand and side crow back, and I'll show him! HA. yeah. 


Tuesday we had Physical Theatre (we did some crazy element work, which was awesome). Then, we each had individual outings to go to - mine was Sloane Square, Peter Jones Department Store, and Holy Trinity Church. I found the Church, went inside, and made friends with this clergyman for a few minutes - he was really cheerful and sweet. The Church contains pieces from the "Arts and Crafts Movement", a project started in the late 19th century to fight inhumane practices in Victorian industrialization. There were really harsh working conditions for everyone, and the movement was started to bring respect to beauty and nature (and bring people closer to God through art). It was really unique and beautiful, especially the stained glass behind the altar (which had panels of the apostles and over 40 saints). After about an hour, I said goodbye to my friend and went outside. I took a bunch of pictures of the tops of the buildings (they were mostly built in the 19th century- I feel legite because I could tell from the architecture, like Michael Winter taught us). I went into the department store, not quite sure what I was supposed to be looking for. After walking up 12 flights of stairs, I came up to this adorable cafe with an incredible view of some major buildings in London. The skyline was gorgeous. I sat down (got a mini muffin and an apple juice, so I didn't just look like a complete freak tourist, taking pictures), and this woman sitting across from me started talking to me a bit (her baby was so cute; he wouldn't stop waving at me haha). I left (took the elevator down this time), and walked along the street. There is SO much history everywhere in London. I saw this sketchy set of stairs in the square, so of course I went down, and I found this cool little bar/pub type thing. I'm definitely going back there at some point. 


At night, we went to Julius Caesar. Overall, I liked it - there were some really amazing moments, as well as some things that totally didn't work for me (random video game graphics). Some of the writing in the play is genius; it's unreal. Caesar acted it well, but he kind of looked like Edward Norton at his wimpiest (like, not American History X Edward Norton). Brutus had some great moments, as well as Mark Antony. 


Today, we had a master class with Delena Kidd and her husband Gary. They've had the most amazing careers - tv, films, theatre, and touring around the world. They seemed so happy - I hope I get that lucky! My acting class was really intense today...lots of intense, emotional stories. It was pretty draining, but I love the class. Kathryn, my teacher, is so intense and for lack of a better word, awesome. I love her. I'm dead tired, so I'm heading to sleep. I love you all and miss you. I feel abandoned - e-mail me! I want to hear how everyone is doing : )   

No comments:

Post a Comment